Why We Love It:
- Crunchy and nut-rich flavor
- No sugar – just honey (yep!)
A few years back a colleague of mine and I, were having lunch at the local canteen. We are both foodies (self-proclaimed) and love preparing yummy food for our families from scratch. During our sweet talk about smoothies, juices and homemade humus she briefly mentioned making her own granola at home. As time was pressing us to go back, we had to reschedule the granola discussion for another lunch-date. In the coming weeks we were both under pressure to meet deadlines, so we postponed & postponed and finally never came back to the granola recipe she mentioned.
Thank goodness for the internet, right?! After I’ve done some experimenting and tossed a burned batch in the rubbish bin, I finally created the right combination (for our family).
Homemade Granola with Hazelnuts and Honey
- 1 cup oats, GF if needed
- 1 cup raw hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup mix of chia seeds and flax seeds
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, or GF mix if needed
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup melted organic coconut oil
- 2-4 tbsp raw honey, heaping
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In a non-stick pan on low heat, melt the coconut oil and honey and mix well with dry ingredients.
- Bake on a non-stick surface (pan) for around 15 (20) minutes in preheated oven (on 180 C/360F).
- Stir mix every five minutes to prevent granola from burning.
- Remove from oven when oats turn golden.
- Leave to cool without stirring (if you want the granola to be crunchier).
Did you make this recipe?
I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! You can leave a comment below and/or snap a picture and share it on Instagram – using #shinemommy and tagging @anashinemommy in the photo itself.