Why we Love it:
- Vegetables rich
- Easy to make
I have always shied away from the versatile quiche/tart recipes mainly because of the Crème fraîche. It’s just too heavy for me.
Another no-go was the buttery crust. Most store bought crusts are super easy to use, but the ingredients on the label make me think twice before buying. I just do not feel comfortable feeding my toddler food that contain ingredients I cannot even pronounce. Let alone understand.
Recently though I have been wondering if I can substitute the buttery crust with a healthier & child-friendly base. so, that’s how my oatmeal crust was born.
It’s so soft and delicious (just make sure you do not over bake – otherwise it will become too stiff and hard).
For those who cherish a good & easy to prepare recipe for the whole family to enjoy together (like I do), the quiche is probably one of the best options. I feel I can throw almost every vegetable in there. That totally makes my efforts to decrease food waste much easier.
Vegetarian Quiche with Oatmeal Crust
- 2 cups oats , GF if needed
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour, GF if needed
- 1/3 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 red onion heads, ring-minced
- 3 red bell peppers, minced
- 1 cup baby spinach, washed
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt, plain
- 3 eggs, medium
- 2 tbsp olive oil , extra virgin
- 1 cube all purpose bouillon cube, organic
- In a large bowl mix all oatmeal crust ingredients until well combined.
- Spread evenly on your quiche form (preferably ceramic baking dish) of choice and bake on 180 C/360 F for about 8-10 min.
- Set aside to cool down and start preparing your filling.
- Saute all chopped veggies + bouillon cube until tender on a stove top with some olive oil on medium heat.
- In a separate bowl mix eggs with plain yogurt until combined.
- Take veggies off the stove top and mix with eggs and yogurt.
- Place over the oatmeal crust and bake until golden on 180 C/360 F for about 40 minutes.
Did you make this recipe?
I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! You can leave a comment below and/or snap a picture and share it on Instagram – using #shinemommy and tagging @anashinemommy in the photo itself.