Salads are a wonderful and easy way to refresh your day. Plus they are super versatile (who’s really counting on veggies, not me!). Best of all, when topped with some grains, become a wonderful light meal that is satisfying at the same time.
This easy Mediterranean style farro salad is simple to prepare and very versatile. You basically can combine veggies you have in the fridge with grains and feta cheese + sprinkle some extra virgin olive oil and you are good to go.
FARRO: What is Farro: it’s the Italian word for spelt kernels, einkorn or emmer. Often used in cereals and in Mediterranean cuisine, this ancient grain is a wonderful addition to salads, breakfasts and even main meals. A word of caution: farro is not gluten-free.
If you are into meal-prep or do not have much time on weekdays, I recommend cooking Farro the night before and storing it in air-tight container in the fridge (like this one on Amazon). I never keep it longer than 48 hours, but up to 72h should be fine.
KIDs SUGGESTIONS: I wish there was once simple trick to solve all peaky eaters troubles, but there isn’t. However, I’ve found that our 2 year old boy is eager to try new foods, if I lead by example. Whenever he sees me put something in my mouth, he reaches out and says ‘’Mommy eating, give me!!’’. A good thing to remember is that kids are like snowflakes – beautiful but fragile and different. They grow and evolve every day, so being gentle and patient is key. We always offer new things, never force it and leave space for him to experience and grow at his own pace.
At dinner, we put a colorful plate with fork and spoon on the table, filled with all the things he loves from the ‘’grown-ups’’ salad, e.g. cucumbers, olives (pitted), tomatoes, farro (he can eat it just plain!). See more kids products we use & love over here.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH FARRO SALAD:
We usually enjoy this Farro Salad with Feta Cheese in combination with Soups, Fish meals (like our Alaska Pollock Fillets with dried tomatoes or our Juicy Tuna Steaks Recipe) or even Dips (like our perfect Baked Zucchini Yogurt Dip).
Farro Salad with Feta Cheese (Mediterranean Style)
- 1 cup farro kernels
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 bouillon cube, optional
- 2 cups green salad, of choice
- 3 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/3 cucumber, pealed
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, cut in cubes
- Olives, optional
- 4 radishes, chopped in circles, optional
- In a non-stick pan with lid (like this one on Amazon), place farro grains, water and bouillon cube, bring to a boil on your stove top, then let simmer until cooked (usually around 30 min on my stove).
- Once cooked, drain water and set aside. Or let cool, then put in air-tight container and store in fridge for up to 3 days.
- Wash and clean/peel your vegetables.
- On a wooden board of choice (I love this one: tomato sauce never ends up on the counter, instead in my salad plate), cut cucumber, tomato, salad and feta cheese in cubes. Add olives (optional).
- Combine all in salad plate of choice, drizzle with olive oil, add cooked farro grains and enjoy.