Why we Love it:
- Coconut rich
- Simple to make
- Tasty above all!
When I was in high school, there was a local café offering all sorts of sweets, bites and (mainly unhealthy) desserts. Every time I passed by my eyes would go straight into the juicy, extra-sweet coconut macaroons, cleverly displayed at an eye-level near the window.
One coconut bite costed around 50 cents, which is a lot for a high school student saving for an MP3 player (remember MP3 players, anyone? ). So, I used to treat myself a macaroon every once in a while (read 3 times a year).
When I got married (and learned how to cook) I tried replicating my beloved childhood coconut treat and here’s the result. I spent less than 30 min (baking included) preparing these delightful tastiest. Naturally, they quickly into the best go-to treat for unexpected guests (and hangry toddlers of course).
Heavenly Coconut Macaroons
- 150 g coconut shreds, full fat
- 50 g brown sugar
- 3 egg whites , from large eggs
- Separate egg whites from egg yolks and beat them (egg whites) until stiff peaks are formed.
- Mix coconut shreds and sugar and gently fold with egg whites by trying to preserve as much air as possible.
- With a spoon or ice cream scoop (this one comes in 3 different sizes), gently place the coconut bites on parchment paper.
- Bake in preheated oven (180C/360F) for about 12-15 min until coconut macaroons become golden.
- Set aside to cool down and enjoy with a friend.
Did you make this recipe?
I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! You can leave a comment below and/or snap a picture and share it on Instagram – using #shinemommy and tagging @anashinemommy in the photo itself.