Why we Love it:
- Simple to prepare
- Delicious winter-y taste
- Veggie rich & kid friendly
Snowflakes slowly dancing around in a seemingly careless fashion, you blink and they are all gone. Freezing wind blows in your reddish face, trying to steal a tear from our eyes. People running around with scarfs around their mouths, trying to take a breath while shaking off snow of their hats. It’s all the taste of winter in Europe.
When weather is showing us it’s coldest (and prettiest at the same time) face, we all want to lie in bed all day (or at least I do). Yeah, kind of impossible when you have a family + job to attend to.
During those lazy winter days I crave (more) snuggles and sweets (like these chewy tahini brownies). Somehow, my enthusiasm for spending endless hours glued to the oven vanishes as a snowflake in a muddy puddle. Thank goodness mankind created soups!
The ultimate meatball winter soup with sweet potatoes comes to the rescue. It’s tasty, easy to prepare and above all my toddler and hubby love it. Hope you do too J
Winter Meatball Soup
- 200 g minced meat /ready to use meatballs
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
- 4 tbsp canned tomatoes
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 4-5 cups water
- 3 tbsp rise for meatballs, optional
- salt, red pepper to taste
- In a large cooking pan saute onions & carrot in olive oil until lightly brown and soft (about 5 minutes). Add splashes of water as needed to prevent onions from burning.
- Add salt, red pepper and whole wheat flour and mix well. Add 1/2 cup of water if mix becomes too sticky.
- Add tomatoes, potatoes and sauté for another 5 minutes. Add the remaining water and let cook on medium heat.
Make your own Meatballs
- In a mixing bowl, combine minced meat with rice and form small balls with wet hands to prevent sticking.
- In a separate pan, place meatballs with cup of water and bring to boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and add to vegetable mix.
- If you use store-bought meatballs - omit the previous instructions and add your meatballs to the vegetable mix and water.
- Cook veggies and meatballs on medium heat until almost ready.
- Simmer with lid partially covered for 10-15 minutes and add chopped parsley.
Did you make this recipe?
I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! You can leave a comment below and/or snap a picture and share it on Instagram – using #shinemommy and tagging @anashinemommy in the photo itself.