Why we Love it:
- Simple to prepare
- Delicious winter-y taste
- Veggie rich & kid friendly
Snowflakes slowly dancing around in a seemingly careless fashion, you blink and they are all gone. Freezing wind blows in your reddish face, trying to steal a tear from our eyes. People running around with scarfs around their mouths, trying to take a breath while shaking off snow of their hats. It’s all the taste of winter in Europe.
When weather is showing us it’s coldest (and prettiest at the same time) face, we all want to lie in bed all day (or at least I do). Yeah, kind of impossible when you have a family + job to attend to.
During those lazy winter days I crave (more) snuggles and sweets (like these chewy tahini brownies). Somehow, my enthusiasm for spending endless hours glued to the oven vanishes as a snowflake in a muddy puddle. Thank goodness mankind created soups!
The ultimate meatball winter soup with sweet potatoes comes to the rescue. It’s tasty, easy to prepare and above all my toddler and hubby love it. Hope you do too J
- 200 g minced meat or ready to use meatballs
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1 fresh tomato (chopped)/ or 4 tbsp. canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- A handful of parsley leaves (finely chopped)
- Salt, red pepper and black pepper to taste (or universal spice mix)
- Water ( approx. 4-5 cups)
- 3 tbsp. rice ( for the meatballs if you prepare them yourself)
- 2 tbsp. whole wheat flour or tapioca (gluten-free option) (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onions & carrot and sauté until lightly brown and soft, about 5 minutes. Add splashes of water as needed to prevent the onions from burning. Add salt, red pepper and black pepper and mix well.
- Add tomatoes, potatoes and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Add the remaining water.
- Bring everything to a boil and then reduce heat to low and let cook.
- For meatballs: make your own meatballs by mixing minced meat with the rice and forming small balls with wet hands to prevent sticking.
- Put meatballs in a separate pan with a cup of water/ broth and bring to a boil for around 5 min. Add meatballs to the soup and cook together.
- Simmer with lid partially covered for 10-15 minutes and add chopped parsley.
- Making it creamy: Tapioca: follow label instructions and add to soup. If you use flour – dissolve whole wheat flour in a cup of water/ broth and mix well before adding to the soup to avoid lumps. Let simmer for about 5 min.
- Enjoy and keep warm!
Did you make this recipe?
I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! You can leave a comment below and/or snap a picture and share it on Instagram – using #shinemommy and tagging @anashinemommy in the photo itself.